Financial Aid Counselor – Alfred State College
Alfred State College
Location: Alfred, NY Category: Professional Posted On: Mon Sep 18 2023 Job Description:
This is a 12-month position reporting to the Associate Director of Financial Aid. As a member of the Financial Aid team, this selected candidate will work within the Student Records and Financial Services office to deliver a full range of financial services to students, families, staff, and the community. Responsibilities Include:
- Assist students and parents with completing financial aid applications for federal, state, and institutional programs.
- Provide financial aid counseling to student and parents regarding eligibility requirements for various aid programs.
- Provide excellent customer service, guidance, and advisement in support of the student and family financial aid experience.
- Process financial aid: including file review, application verification, need analysis, use of professional judgment and financial aid packaging.
- Maintain knowledge of current federal and state regulations and laws, applicable policies, and procedures that impact financial aid.
- Represent the office at various on and off-campus recruiting functions, financial aid information sessions, and internal committee meetings as assigned.
- Each counselor is assigned to assist with specific programs which may include but are not limited to third-party agencies, college withdrawal assistance, scholarships, and/or the EOP program.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of one year experience in a customer service area, student services office, or similar setting.
- Previous financial aid experience.
- Experience with Banner or other comprehensive student financial or billing information system.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and analytical skills.
- Strong commitment and excellence in customer service.
- Organizational skills, including the ability to manage time, prioritize work, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Tolerance of ambiguity, flexibility, and the ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- The ability to work as a team member as well as the confidence to work independently is expected.
Alfred State College hereby advises students, parents, employees, and the general public that it offers employment and educational opportunities, including career and technical educational opportunities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction. Employees, students, applicants, or other members of the college community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
Alfred State policy is in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations prohibiting discrimination and harassment. These laws include the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as Amended by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972, and the New York State Human Rights Law. These laws prohibit discrimination and
harassment, including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Grievance procedures are available to interested persons by contacting either of the compliance officers/coordinators listed below. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and other laws, regulations, and policies prohibiting discrimination may be directed to:
Interim Chief Diversity Officer
Alfred State College
10 Upper College Drive
Alfred, NY 14802
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.