The minimum qualifications for Provisional appointment are:
A bachelor's degree in American Studies, Art History, History, History of Technology, Museum Studies, or Public History AND two years of professional experience in collections in a historical museum, general museum with historical collections or historic site.
OR a master's degree or higher in any of the above disciplines and ONE year of the qualifying experience as noted above.
Based on the results of the canvass of the current eligible list for the Curator 1, the Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation may elect to make a provisional appointment to this position rather than a permanent appointment. If a provisional appointment is made, the appointed candidate must take and pass the Civil Service examination for this position and be reachable for appointment from the newly established eligible list; i.e., be one of the top three (3) candidates on the resulting eligible list willing to accept the position.
**It is essential that candidates clearly and concisely indicate exactly how they meet the above minimum qualifications in their resume. Failure to show how you meet the minimum qualifications above may result in removal from consideration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of higher-level personnel, the Curator 1 will perform professional activities, requiring specialized experience and training, to identify, conserve, maintain, protect, and interpret historic objects in the care and custody of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. This Curator 1 will be assigned to Planting Fields Arboretum and State Historic Site in the Long Island Region of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Research and analyze historic collections and themes relating to Planting Fields Arboretum and State Historic Site.
• Perform the full range of archival activities (appraise, accession, arrange, describe, preserve, and provide references services) for historical documents housed at Planting Fields, including the Robert Moses Collection.
• Perform and supervise surveys of site collections to assess the appropriateness of objects to support the site's furnishing plans, exhibits, research, and interpretive needs.
• Research and place objects in historical context by identifying and locating research resources and comparing objects, including methods of fabrication, style, and composition.
• Create files and records to document each object.
• Evaluate objects for acquisition, loans, and exhibits.
• Review conservation treatment proposals with conservators and site staff.
• Manage all inventories and plans required for moving and protecting collections for all film and photo shoots of the mansion's collections area.
• Work closely with registration staff at the Bureau of Historic Sites to integrate object records and history into the Agency's new online public database.
• Supervise other staff on maintenance and housekeeping for collections, in completing periodic room inventories, and in executing the integrated pest management program.
• Work with site and bureau colleagues to research, write, and edit exhibit scripts and the text for the site's interpretive programs and products.
• Work with interpretive staff on creation and implementation of interpretive programs and products related to collections, structure, landscape, and site history.
• Answer requests for information about collections from the public, museums, and other historic organizations.
• Participate in and conduct training for staff and lead specialized workshops; Attend professional meetings and agency training.
• Work with site staff and other colleagues to arrange public symposia.
• Implement Division of Historic Preservation policies, procedures, and guidelines concerning collections.
• May supervise interns, volunteers, and contract workers as directed.
• Other related duties as needed.
The posted hiring rate is the sum of the statutory hiring rate for PEF Grade 18 ($63,108) and the Downstate Adjustment ($3,087) The posted job rate is the sum of the statutory job rate ($80,248) and the Downstate Adjustment ($3,087)
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Closing Date/Time: 11/29/23